If you have ever replaced a roof before, then you know just how big of an investment new roofing can be. Indeed, roof replacement is likely going to be one of the costliest home improvement projects you can take on. For this reason, it is imperative to get a quality new roof, and to properly maintain it, in order to ensure it lasts for as long as possible.
Over time, roofing often sustains minor damage or develops small problems. When this happens, the roof probably doesn’t need replacement—it just needs roof repair in Thousand Oaks, CA. Here are five times to consider calling for professional roof repair:
- Ice dams: Ice damming does not occur frequently in this part of the country, but if it does, it is a common sign you need roof repair in Thousand Oaks, CA. An ice dam occurs when snow melts at the top of the roof and freezes in pools around the gutters. A buildup of ice can cause damage to the roofing, gutters or home siding. Typically this occurs as the result of poor draining on the roof and uneven areas that allow for the pooling of water. Call for roof repair right away if you notice ice damming during winter.
- Leaks: Leaks can sometimes go unnoticed, since they start small. Over time, a small leak will grow, and can eventually become a major problem. A good idea is to occasionally inspect your attic space after rainfall to see if there are any damp areas. Holes can sometimes be found when inspecting the exterior of a roof, as well. A few small holes are easy to patch, but left ignored, you might need to eventually replace the entire roof.
- Shingle damage: Shingle damage can occur for all sorts of reasons. Falling tree branches, large hail and severe storms can all damage a few shingles. Age can also take its toll on a roof. After a number of years, some shingles might begin to curl or blister, mostly from sun damage or incorrect installation. Getting those shingles repaired will save you money over the long term, since it will prevent damage to the underside of the roofing. A yearly inspection will determine whether you need roof repair in Thousand Oaks, CA, especially if it’s just a few shingles you need to be worried about.
- Flashing damage: Flashing is even more vulnerable to damage than shingles. A full inspection of your flashing is the only way to determine if there is any damage. Take a look around the chimney, skylights, slopes, vents or intersections in the roofing. Flashing is used in these areas and can peel or deteriorate over time. Eventually, damaged flashing will no longer protect against leaks or other water damage, so have it repaired immediately.
- Preventative care: A little preventative care will go a long way in extending the life of your roof. Occasionally clean the roof to ensure there is no buildup of mold, algae or fungus. Inspect it yearly for small areas of damage, and clean off branches and leaves on a regular basis. With a little prevention and some simple repairs, you can get many extra years out of your roof.
Having a contractor you can turn to for roof repair in Thousand Oaks, CA is one of the most useful ways of keeping your home safe and secure. Call Conejo Valley Roofing today to schedule an appointment.