Whether you’re looking to replace your existing roof or are installing a roof on a new home, it’s important to know all your options when it comes to roofing materials. There are probably more options available than you realize, each with its own distinct benefits. Like most homeowners, price will probably weigh heavily on your final decision, but there are other factors to consider as well.
When deciding what roofing material to choose it also is important to consider style, longevity and strength. Here is a look at some roofing materials available from your local roofing contractor in Thousand Oaks, CA:
- Asphalt shingles: Asphalt shingles are the most popular type of roofing material for homes because they are affordable, easy to install, durable and available in a wide variety of colors. Shingles can come in a variety of styles and there are premium types available that, for a little bit of extra money, can pay off with longer warranties and extra longevity. While not very original, you can always go with the reliable choice and have your roofing contractor in Thousand Oaks, CA install asphalt shingles.
- Clay and concrete tiles: Clay and concrete tile roofing materials are very similar in composition and require just about the same type of labor to install. These tiles are designed to either overlap or interlock with other tiles to form the finished roof. Clay and concrete tiles do have some limitations when it comes to climate, since certain types of weather can reduce their lifespan. Make sure to also investigate how clay and concrete tiles look on a home if you are unfamiliar with them, as they are aesthetically distinct from other materials.
- Metal roofing: Metal roofing is a broad category that includes both factory-formed and finished roofing panels. Metal roofing has a long history of use on houses, farm structures and commercial buildings. This type of roofing is known for longevity as well as having a slightly higher price tag than competing roofing materials. The main limitation of metal roofing is that it can’t be used on certain roof shapes, so make sure to consult with a roofing contractor in Thousand Oaks, CA before making this your choice.
- Composite roofing: Composite roofing is a description that applies to several different types of roofing, as it simply means that several different materials were used in the manufacturing process. This is common with asphalt shingles in particular, as the quality of modern shingles has improved with composite techniques. Another common composite roof is a simulated roofing slate that is made from rubber compounds extracted from reclaimed tires. This material recreates the appearance of a slate roof with excellent longevity and a lower installation price. In many cases, this is an environmentally friendly option, since the materials are often recycled.
- Slate roofing: Slate roofing is expensive to manufacture and tricky to install, which is why this type of roof is among the most expensive roofing materials available. However, slate is an extremely high quality material that can last for many years longer than most other materials.
There are many other options available as well. Call Conejo Valley Roofing for more advice on choosing roofing materials for your home.